Principles of action
The proper implementation of Core Values should not be restricted to abstract spaces or virtual scenarios, but should instead extend to our everyday lives. Therein the need for establishing Operating Principles within the scope of society as a whole, both in those areas in which we are directly involved as individuals (Youth, Women, Job Seekers, the Elderly…), and in those in which we may be indirectly involved and which have an influence on us (Higher Education, Business, Government, Social Organizations…).
As an example, there are two groups of people whose involvement and inclusion in this new social and economic current is essential, namely, young people and those in work.
On the one hand, young people are the ones who will shape society in the future, being the ones who will enjoy the new achievements, so society should ask the following of them:
- To take responsibility for a good education, and if it is within their grasp, to achieve excellence.
- To demand equal opportunities in education, and acknowledge those who excel.
- To acquire a sound grounding in basic knowledge. We do not know what sort of jobs there will in 10 years’ time; only those with a good basic education will be able to undertake them successfully.
- To learn to behave decently, appreciating those around them for who they are and not for what they have.
- To show integrity (and thereby shy away from accepting the status quo), actively taking part in change, and assuming risks.
On the other hand, as regards people in work -those who have a job that enables them to fulfil their needs- the society of the future should also expect the following of them:
- To accept the responsibility and generosity of being professionals, mastering the disciplines required for performing their duties, showing support for those without work, and actively taking part in all kinds of radical actions to combat unemployment.
- As regards those who hold a stable job or management positions, to support the risk-responsibility dichotomy rather that opt for security?
- As regards those in public office, to help transform the administration to provide people with public services of the utmost quality.
In turn, the society of the future should foment a radical change in approach, moving away from the “support” for sundry interests, which are a major cause of the country’s relative economic?industrial weakness, to backing people and groups possessing major technical?ethical competency, who are ready to take responsibility over the medium and long terms for the regeneration of the economic?industrial fabric.